Monday, October 13, 2008

Blogging

There must be some kind of knack to blogging. Maybe it's because I think that everything I write should be earth-shattering, heathen-converting mind-candy. But when I stop and think about it, I find that I spend a couple hours each day just keeping up on all the news and viewpoints. Then it takes a couple of hours to write a decent, well-thought-out post. Then there's all the rest of the stuff that I need to do, and there never seems to be enough hours in a day for it all.

Maybe you have to be professional about it. Maybe you can't just blog in your spare time. Or maybe there is a particular knack. You go out, you see things, you write quickly about them. You link to other blogs, write a witty sentence, and then move on. Maybe part of blogging is just repeating what others have said. If you're popular enough, maybe you can become one of the stops on someone's cruise through relevant material.

I don't know. Sometimes I feel intimidated. Whenever I look at Mark Shea's Blog, I feel inadequate. Sure, he's been doing this stuff for years, but he manages something like 10 posts a day, and that's by mid-morning.

Maybe my problem is that I'm too theoretical. Maybe I have problems getting to the point with practical issues. Maybe I'm too uninterested in every detail that occurs in the world, since I tend to only concentrate on big issues.

I just peeked in at Michelle Malkin's Blog. I know she's famous, I know she's published books, and I know she speaks on Fox News like every other day. And yet her blog is rife with things. Is this just a case of her being more motivated than me, or is it her years and years of experience?

I guess I'll just have to step up my efforts. I'll have to learn how to type 1000 words in five minutes, making every one count. I'll have to learn how to read through 10,000 websites in half-an-hour, to make sure I can catch everything important and still have time to write and research.

Oh, yeah, research. I should probably get back around to that someday. I'm a terrible student, I really am.

No comments: